Are you ready for the 2019 Rainy Season
Jun 24, 2019
When preparing for Hurricanes during the Rainy Season, ensure you do the following:
- Check on these emergency items: water, boots, raincoats, flashlights and batteries, battery-powered radio, hurricane lamp, matches, hurricane shutters, hooks, and latches.
- Keep plastic bags, nails, hammer, and other tools handy.
- Have on hand simple first aid supplies.
- Stock 4-5 days’ supply of food that does not need cooking or refrigeration.
- Make sure you have material for battening up doors and windows.
- See that galvanized sheeting on your roofs, outbuildings and fences are securely fastened.
- If your house is in a high-risk area, subject to a storm surge (tidal wave) or flooding, be sure you know of a safe shelter; preferably with relatives or friends.
- Trim trees with branches near to buildings or electrical lines. Also, pick fruits off trees as these can be carried by the wind and cause further damage.
- Be sure to understand the hurricane warning system. That is the three phases – Alert, Watch and Warning. These are indicators of how far away the hurricane is from your location.
- Keep in touch with your Regional Corporation Disaster Preparedness Committee and know how the committee works.